1.23.2008

Current Impressions of Motherhood

  • Young mother with first child, who has cancer. Somehow managing to be a mother, a wife, and a human being while trying to make medical decisions to save her daughter's life or at least spare her some pain. I've never met this woman but I check their blog daily. She (and her husband) absolutely floor me.

  • Late-middle-aged mother whose daughter calls daily to threaten suicide, demanding to know why ex-boyfriend left her. This has been going on for several years. Husband recently threatened to kill her. Later claimed it was a strategy to calm down daughter.

  • My-aged mother with her first baby and a house far away from the rest of her friends. Very alone for days at a time except for intermittent visits from her own mother, who is caring for her dying grandmother. "I'll be telling her something, and then the baby will do something cute and she'll get distracted; then I realize she wasn't listening to me all along. Her mind just isn't here. I mean, I don't blame her. It can't be."

No comments: