2.25.2008

Gogol Bordello (Or, I become a college freshman and quote song lyrics to you)

Gogol Bordello has been around for a while, but they are finally starting to get some serious mainstream-alt attention.
Eugene Hutz is [ish] to Gogol Bordello as Perry Farrell was to Jane's Addiction.
Here is some information about Eugene Hutz.
  • survived Chernobyl as a child
  • grew up in various refugee camps across Eastern Europe
  • became a model
  • created "gypsy punk" sound/aesthetic, touring international rock halls and museums.
  • became a rock star
  • is now making movies

WHY THE HELL HAS THIS GUY NOT SAID TO HIMSELF:
This...is a little crazy.
I have survived a nuclear disaster, lived in impoverished refugee camps... AND I am a male supermodel.
I probably cannot pioneer a new genre of music.
OR create mind-blowing, spectacle-based theatrical punk rock shows that will get me gigs at the Tate, the Whitney, and about 7,000 other venues.
Also, I PROBABLY can't become a movie star.
... in a FOREIGN LANGUAGE.
So I will not even try.

Somehow he seemed to not ever think that. Amazing. I am always telling myself that I cannot accomplish SUCH lamer things.

Anyway, I am learning a lot about success lately. A big thing is this:

It takes courage to believe in your own genius.


Anyway, here are the opening words to his latest album.
It's better if you read them the way he yells them, in a very Boratty voice.

If we are here not to do
what you and I want to do
and go forever crazy with it
why the hell we are even here?

HYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

also. From the same song:
There were never any Good Old Days.
They are today! They are tomorrow!

3 comments:

Arnie said...

Lacy... are worry that you'll be a Scientologist within the year.

Rachel said...

I love Gogol Bordello -- and your blog. You may have inspired me to start one.

Lacy said...

yay! Do it Rachel!
... wait. Rachel Wilson, right?
Who cares?!! Start a blog!