5.13.2008

moving and shaking

I was about 9 or 10 when this sequence of events occurred:
  • David Letterman endorsed "Stop Making Sense" on his show.
  • My dad went out and rented this movie.
  • He called me into the room as he was watching it. "Look at that," he said. He was amazed.
All I saw was a sweat-drenched guy in a big suit who DID NOT STOP RUNNING AROUND.

I'm not sure why I felt that was important. I was really trying to get to this part:

I am a huge David Byrne fan.

Here's the next big part:

David Byrne turns a building into a musical instrument

OH MY GOSH. I don't CARE if this falls flat on its face. You rule, David Byrne. You rule for doing that. I freaking love that idea, would think of it, and then would shoot it down in my own mind within seconds. I do not currently have the balls to call some people and say, 'hey. let's play an entire building like an enormous beautiful instrument, because ultimately this world is suffused with beauty and we need to be reminded of that.'

Do I have friends who could do it? Yes. Do I have friends who would think it was awesome? HECK yes. Could I even possibly find a building? I PROBABLY COULD SOMEHOW. But ... [enter seven reasons here why it would probably never work. Listen to those reasons. Repeat. Go to the kitchen and make a snack instead.]

I used to push myself more. I used to lie vastly exaggerate my way into jobs I wasn't qualified for, purely on faith that I could covertly learn that skill once I was in the door. Like television and radio production. And writing. And making furniture. I lied exaggerated a lot, but I learned even more.

Then I quit. I quit pushing myself into things that scared me. Maybe being a professional actor was scary enough. Maybe having an honest and open relationship with another human being was scary enough.

At any rate. It's time to get back into that habit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious...did you ever get those jobs that you tried to exaggerate your way into? And then did you end up teaching yourself the skill? I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment. :)

Lacy said...

Oh, absolutely! Those jobs helped me pay for college! It was, on the whole, stressful but successful and fun. I was production crew for the NBC affiliate newscasts in Dallas and in Boston, as well as running master control at another tv station, and working at 3 different radio stations. Just work really hard and learn fast and DON'T TELL ANYONE HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW. Most stations have new formats or tics anyway, and you can just pretend you're learning the FORMAT, when you're actually learning what the hell you're doing.
GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Great! Thanks for the advice!

nora said...

I adore David Byrne, 'True Stories' is one of my favorite movies. It's just so David Byrne-ish.