5.27.2008

Ruth

I'd say this is a pretty popular -if not well-known- bit of scripture. Ruth's pledge of devotion to her mother-in-law, Naomi:
Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you; for where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge; for your people shall be my people, and your god my god..."
WHAT!? What happened to conviction and remaining faithful to your religion even when facing death? Ever since Sunday school, this one has made me shake my head.

I mean, what about Meshach, Shadrach, and Abendigo in the furnace? Daniel in the lion's den? Playing "Romans and Christians" at church camp?
WHAT THE HELL, Ruth? Grow a pair, already.

But no. Ruth pusses out and gets a whole freaking book in the Bible for it. Explain THAT to me. Right place right time, is all THAT girl had going for her. AND she made it into the Old Testament, so she gets, like, double religion whammy: Jewish AND Christian. Barely missed the Pentateuch.

Even Biblical success is so subjective. Cripes.






(...Why, Lacy? The scripture lesson...?)
My grandmother's preacher wants this to be the Old Testament reading at my wedding.
Gag.
I'm lobbying for Song of Solomon.

4 comments:

nora said...

ohhh. Good Luck.

Lacy said...

ha! Uhoh - Is that 'ohhhh' an 'ohhh, that's what she's blathering about' or an 'ohhhh, good luck getting the mildly racy Song of Solomon past a southern minister?'

nora said...

It was more of an "uggggh," good luck with your grandmother who is trying to send you messages through scripture, good luck with making the wedding remotely about what you want and just plain old good luck!
I'm still single (I'm practicing saying 'still,' sounds more optimistic) so I don't have any first hand experience with weddings. But from what I've witnessed from my sisters' weddings, the bride gets run over with a lot of this stuff.
I don't mean to sound cynical, really I don’t. I think that weddings are wonderful – I just wish there was some way to wiggle your nose and have the planning part done, that seems to be where all of the angst is.
And, who knows – maybe that southern minister loves the Song of Solomon!
[Now I need to go look that scripture up, if it’s racy I’m sure I never heard it in my years of Catholic education!]

Lacy said...

ahaa! Thanks, then!

Song of Solomon isn't THAT racy. It IS about erotic love, though many stomach that by reading it as an allegory of God's love for Israel (... right), although - no joke, THIS is the verse immediately following the one I want to use: "We have a little sister, and she has no breasts. What shall we do for our sister in the day when she is spoken for?"

Oh, Bible. You wacky, wacky Bible.