9.12.2008

blowout

I'm working on a secret private multi-million dollar event being held at a secret location with a secret "big act" that not even us performers are allowed to know the identity of.

All we know is that:
  • holy fuck, this party costs MILLIONS OF DOLLARS
and
  • past Big Acts have included Paul Simon, Elton John, Bette Midler.
Everything else? Top secret.



Until it came out in the Sun Times today. Oops. Leaked.

In the next 2 weeks, we'll be filling this space (about a fourth of it pictured here)
with objects like this
and this
and figuring out cool ways to play with/on/around them, with dozens of other artists making things like this
and tricking out the stage with handcut and laboriously painted woodwork to look like this
and I'm fairly sure this is just the beginning, because I've seen pieces of a 50-foot papier-mache tree under tarps outside.

A few years ago, the Reader did an article on this party (it happens every 2 years) as lavish and wasteful. I like to think of it as working for the Medici family. We get paid well, and given a pretty damn free rein to create whatever we think is cool.

Such as.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Yikes. I worked on this party last year, and it was a lot of fun. I don't know if you saw it, but it involved a ton of stacked sea containers. Weird. Paul Simon brushed past my shoulder as well, and I was star struck. I do think the millions this guy spends on the party is a bit excessive, but I feel bad that it got leaked this year, as he is a sweet man. Enjoy the party!