9.02.2008

Home safe home II

The downside of having a wonderful home is that you never want to leave it.

My friend Rachel was talking about how, in L.A., it's very hard to get people to go out. That almost every social outing is with other industry people and therefore industry-related, and because of that, it's stressful and draining - so people just tend to stay home in their highrise apartment caves.

Cripes, that makes PERFECT sense to me. After a day of Sisyphean careerbuilding, do you really want to spend your off time being reminded of hills and boulders?

Nevertheless.
Going out is good for you.
I have to remember this.
Going out is good for you.
Staying out is good for you.
Having to talk to other people who scare you even though they are your friends is good for you.

No turning into a grownup home schooler.

2 comments:

Urraca said...

Get out of the house, seriously. Not doing so could cost you your sanity. It almost killed me. I spent about 2 years playing Nintendo and enjoying Netflix. Afterwards, I had NOTHING to show for it. Go out there and live.

And yes, all the people I hang out with who I know on a personal level are all crazy. Not sure what to do about that part.

Jeremy said...

No joke, do it. That, I think, is the most rewarding part of not having kids... the ease with which you can go out. All your friends with kids will envy you. I mean, seriously, you could go out RIGHT NOW.

I can go out any night after 9:30 or so, if it's my night to put the girl to bed. Of course, I know I'll be getting up at 5:30 the next morning, so there's only so much fun to have.

Movie listings? Might as well be "coming in 6 months on DVD" ads.

Theater listings? Might as well be historical records.

Just going out to a cafe and reading the paper? Might as well involve a flight to another city, giving the planning involved.

Parties? Yes! But it's hard to talk to people when you're watching to make sure some small person isn't picking all the flowers.

Go! Go out! It's great out there! Or so I hear.

Sincerely, a very old man.