10.09.2008

You know what? We're good here.

You could say quitter or you could say overachiever. I'm ending this blog 6 weeks early because it told me what I wanted to know when I started it in the first place.
Success is not always the same thing as happiness.

Happiness is always success.

Everything else is just worrying about what people will think of you. And you could always use more money.
Sure, it's oversimplifying, and sure I still have a lot of questions left over. How genuine is that happiness, for example, and how do you master the art of not caring what other people think (hint: don't check your blog's SiteMeter obsessively).

Last night I hung out with my friend, who is the happiest she's ever been now that she's a stay-at-home mom and waitress. Far happier than when she was doing back to back productions at Steppenwolf and world premiere musicals. She's dreading her college reunion and explaining to people why she's chosen this life instead of the other.

I say courage and following her heart. Here's to it.

I'll start up a new blogspot soon enough. If you have any ideas for future themes, lemme know. And really really and truly truly, thanks for reading.

14 comments:

dizzyk said...

It's been a pleasure to read. Can't wait for whatever theme comes next!

Marisa Wegrzyn said...

I enjoyed this blog and am looking forward to the next one.

Larissa said...

Hey Lacy,

I loved reading this over the year. It makes sense that other people struggle with feeling successful (or the inverse) as much as I do, but this blog made it feel more real. It's easy to get caught up in the thought that you're the only one not "making it" like you thought, or questioning what "making it" even means, outside of talking about sandwiches.

This blog made me feel better about feeling bad, or good, about where I was/am. Plus, there were kickass pictures.

Can't wait for the next one!

matt said...

Happiness is always success. - Thanks for the reminder.

Congrats on successfully finishing your year.

nora said...

Akkkk. I'm not ready for this to be over. But, you are - and that's what counts.

And, I've had a hard time getting my comments to post lately. I keep getting an error page. You'll just have to imagine all of the witty things that I wrote.

Godspeed.

Jason said...

GOOD WITCH:
Why, Lacy doesn't need to blog any longer. She's had the answer all along.

SCARECROW:
But that's so easy! I should have thought of it for her.

TIN MAN:
I should have felt it in my heart.

GOOD WITCH:
No, Lacy had to find it out for herself.

(BEAT)

Unfortunately, she found it out a bit earlier than expected. Sooooo... normally I'd float in on a big pink bubble, munchkins and Emerald City guard and the whole shebang, and deliver the news to her in person.

Instead, here we are. You two on my doorstep, me in my bathrobe, suddenly done sleeping. Yep.

ALL ARE SILENT FOR A MOMENT.

SCARECROW:
Should we, uh... (MOTIONS AWAY)

GOOD WITCH:
Yes, freshly minted genius. Way to stitch that one together.

TIN MAN & SCARECROW:
Okay, right, sorry, etc.

GOOD WITCH SLAMS THE DOOR IN THEIR FACE. TIN MAN AND SCARECROW EXIT SLOWLY.

TIN MAN:
(quietly)
I'm totally unlinking to Good Witch when I get home.

SCARECROW:
(quietly)
Heard that. Plus she hasn't posted in weeks.

Urraca said...

How about starting up "Decision 2008: A Year of Considering a Move to New Zealand/Mexico/Canada?"

Urraca said...

Another option: "A Year of Dubious Gastrointestinal Function."

Halena said...

I really loved this blog. I have that sad feeling now like you get when you finish a book you loved or like when Freaks and Geeks ended...thanks.

Jeremy said...

Bye!

Good stuff.

Lizzy said...

You're a seriously funny and talented lady, and I appreciate all of your honesty throughout the blog. You've truly offered comfort in my own struggle to define success &/vs. happiness, and I've referenced your writings in relevant conversations with friends as well - like some kind of a parable.

As for future bloginess, I don't think you need a theme, as your insights and adventures are entertainment enough. Who needs cohesion? (maybe that's a theme in and of itself!)

In any case, break a leg out there, and I look forward to seeing/reading whatever projects you post. Your readers await! Brava!

Mikey said...

Alas, I have one less delicious snack in my internet diet. Here's to you, and to your happiness (read: success).

DinaBear said...

This has been a daily joy for me Lacy. Thank you, and I look forward to the next one.

tinyrun said...

I only know you through having sold you a ceiling fan through craigslist...but I have to tell you, I've enjoyed reading over the year.

Congrats, good luck, and hope to read more of something soon...