12.30.2008

Victories of the Completely Geeky Variety.

Today in rehearsal... excuse me.
Today AT WORK, doing some tablework with our Midsummer Night's Dream text, going over the more obscure expressions and sayings. Active discussion about Elizabethan language, somebody mentions calling Hippolyta a stale.

Well, you can't do that, I said, since that's calling her a hussy.




dead. silence.



Director: (very kindly) No ...I don't think so.
Nobody else thought so. And it was a room full of people who KNOW this stuff.

Really? I said. Am I nuts? Am I now making up Shakespearean meanings of words?

I just looked it up in my personal copy of the linguistically badass Shakespeare's Words by David and Ben Crystal.


BOOM!
WHAT'S DEFINITION No. 3, Y'ALL????????


OH!!! OH I THINK I KNEW IT!

... I can never bring this up, of course.

No comments: