1.21.2010

falling back.

I did it. 
I committed to a fallback career, and I don't know if I feel totally proud of or utterly disgusted with myself.
I authorized a $799 paymet to JER Online Learning, otherwise known as www.techwriter-certification.com for
The Basic Certificate in Writing
TWC 900 is for those seeking new career paths. We introduce you to the field of Technical Communications and provide a number of practical writing projects and assignments that will get you on the road to success. Average completion time, 15 weeks.

...prompting, BY THE WAY, a panicked blitzkrieg of Fraud Detection calls to both my cell and home phone, accompanied by a full freeze of ANY account access whatsoever from Discover Card, until I called them back [from an authorized number] and promised them that yes, I meant to do it, yes, it's me Lacy, and no, it doesn't mean that I'm giving up on myself as an artist, in fact I've never felt more confident; I'm just finding a more realistic and responsible way of living.

Oh lord. Why am I doing this?

Here's why I'm doing this:
  • Freelance technical writing will allow me to work as much as I want/need to, based on whatever Artistic Exploits come my way.  
Sudden offer to do puppet theater in Guatemala for 2 months? No problem. I won't take any writing gigs for a while.  Onslaught of boring shows, botched auditions or just plain Sick Of Theater? Great. I'll lay low, write, and build up some funds. 
  • I'll have a marketable skill that can command a livable wage.  
A livable-like-a-normal-person wage, not livable-like-a-broke-ass-artist wage.  Otherwise, what am I qualified for? I've been an actor for so long that all my other skills are totally outdated. And I am a shitty, shitty waitress. No lie.
  • I can do it anywhere.
Since I love Chicago, but I don't want to feel forced to live here.
  • Sounds like it would be good for someone who enjoys writing and organizing.
...And organizing their writing with bullet points.  And the occasional outline.



Stay tuned for 15 weeks of learning to write software instructions, training manuals and FAQ's.
I have to say, I'm excited about using these sort of boring, dry formats to deal with balancing art and life. Which I'm going to have A LOT OF ISSUES ABOUT.  

...Also I'll hopefully learn not to end a sentence with a preposition.

No comments: