2.23.2010

working actor blues

Hi.
I have something to tell you about booking jobs as an actor.
I'm going to say this is true at least 85% of the time. 

Getting a callback means you are a strong actor who could play the part.

Getting cast means you had the right color hair.

Anyone who frequently sits in on castings can't argue.
With a few exceptions here and there, callbacks are full of fantastic performances. That really annoying thing they always tell you is true: everyone is good, but in different ways.

My agent tells a story about running a casting session years ago and listening to the producers/director/writers debate which actor they'd cast in a massive campaign.  Finally they decided on one guy because -get ready for it- the other actor looked like an asshole landlord the director once had.   He told me that story 8 or 9 years ago when I first started doing this to try to impress on me how very, very much it was not. about. my acting. 

Nevertheless.
I was very excited to get called back for this:
Scale - multiple spot package (may or may not include, but not limited to 3x :30 TV, 3x :15 TV, 1x :30 radio spot to be recorded at later date.
•1 yr buyout for print photography taken on shoot day. Content includes unlimited versions of stills taken from TV shoot day to be used in Direct Mail.
• 1 yr buyout for internet only content taken on shoot day.
• 1 yr buyout for New Media usage of TV spots.
And I am pretty bummed I didn't have the right hair color to get the job.

BECAUSE OMG DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY THAT IS. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's a law of averages. You're that much closer.

I'm at the cubicle right now. I've been here way too long today. Yes, this sucks, the rejection, but we're probably staring at each other's lawns right now, wondering how the other one got so green.

Hang in there. Things look up, they always do.

Mer

Katie said...

WAS THIS THE HEALTHY CHOICE CAMPAIGN?? I wanted that so bad so that I could not worry about money for about 2.5 months.

td said...

Very true. I think the only control we have, or the degree to which talent/moxie/sparkle-y eyes factor in at all is the extent to which we can use them to improve the odds in our favor. 200 people @ the first call=bad odds, 35 people @ the callback=better odds, final 5 people on check avail=as good as the odds are going to get, but the irony is that as the odds improve in our favor we lose exponentially the ability to influence the outcome and the process becomes more random. I can think of very few businesses where the relationship between effort and outcome is so inversely proportioned.