3.11.2010

family + politics =

oh, you know right where this is going.


I like my grandfather a lot.  My dad's dad.  Not the other one, the one who I love and miss every day and shaped my life in seventy bazillion ways.  
But this one I love and like a lot. He has a truly fascinating life story about growing up in Oklahoma too poor to own shoes, brainiacking his way through WWII and using the GI bill to become a mechanical engineer and work on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico in the 50s.  Also, an award-winning bowler.

Also, I happen to be named after him.  He's Carl Lacy [last name] Senior, my dad is junior, and I narrowly avoided Carla Lacy (say it out loud if you don't understand why this is such a blessing) and ended up with Lacy.

He also emailed me this today:
Fwd: FWD: OMG!!!


THIS WILL CURDLE YOUR BLOOD AND CURL YOUR HAIR




The name of the book Obama is reading is called: 

The Post-American World,  and it was written by a fellow Muslim. 

  "Post"  America means the world After  America ! Please forward this picture to everyone you know, conservative or liberal. We must expose Obama's radical ideas and his intent to bring down our beloved America ! 
The guy isn't dumb.  He's old, and he's very Republican, and he is definitely racist, but he isn't stupid. 

...I realize the last part of that sentence is a little self-contradictory.  IN ANY CASE we can assume he was already aware of the meaning of the word "post."

As with previous racist family emails, ... well hell, what DO you do? In that case, before, I wrote a revoltingly preachy and way-too-long response including my disgust, objection, and love.

It went over pretty well!

Here's how I deal with it a year and a half later. 
(we call my grandfather Grandpere. GM/Grandmary is my grandmother)

oh, Grandpere.

Come on.
Don't make me send you records and articles about the Bush family's Saudi oil interests and the "true" causes behind the Gulf and Iraqi Wars.  My side has idiot propagandists too.

Lots and lots of love to you and GM.  We had a wonderful time in Portland over the weekend.
Talk to you soon,
your flaming liberal namesake

Unwritten PS:
GUESS WHERE I'M DONATING ANY MONEY I MAY INHERIT FROM YOU????????

1 comment:

nora said...

You're brave for responding. I lean toward the coward's way way. Delete, delete, sigh.