6.17.2010

also do not underestimate the depth of my hypocrisy!

Now I'm asking YOU to please, please vote for my theater company to win a half-million dollars.

We teach creative writing workshops in severely underfunded (and, soon, 35-kids-to-a-classroom) Chicago Public Schools.   In some cases we're the only arts programming the kids have.  You want a mission statement, tough guy? I got your mission statement right here.

Mission Statement

Barrel of Monkeys (BOM) is an ensemble of actor/educators who create an alternative learning environment in which children share their personal voices and celebrate the power of their imaginations. BOM accomplishes this through creative writing workshops and in-school performances of children's stories. BOM also engages the broader community in support of the visions of children through public performances of their work.


We teach self-expression, promote literacy, boost self-esteem and rock some communication skills.  It's good.  Will you vote for us?

Vote here.

Also, if you do, I'm casting you in my next show, where we perform something as rewarding as this:

'cause I think you. have got. IT.

2 comments:

Mary said...

A few months ago I was in a school on the south side and a teacher stopped me as I was talking to a group of kids in the hallway

Teacher: Hi! How are you?!

Me: Great! How are you?!

Teacher: We've met before, right?

Me: I don't think so.

Teacher: Are you from Barrel of Monkeys?

Me: No, I'm here with the American Liver Foundation.

Teacher: Oh! Sorry! I assumed you were with Barrel of Monkeys because you're so good with the kids!

Compliment that she thought I was good with the kids. Bigger compliment that she thought I was with Barrel of Monkeys.

Ashley said...

Hey, someone in BOM is in school with me at North Park. She did a presentation on the group once. Her name is Jen, she's blonde.